Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No donuts for Jasmine

I woke up this morning with one thing on my mind.
Dynamo Donuts!
I knew that it was Monday-adventure-worthy when I came upon it in an article titled something like, "Donuts you must try before you die."
There are two locations: one in the Mission (full of tourists and no parking? no thank you) and one in the Marina (I can just cut across the Presidio? awesome). 

I also added The Wave Organ (http://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/wave-organ) to the agenda, since I didn't know how to make a morning dedicated to donuts sound interesting enough for a blog post. (But now that I think about it, anyone reading this blog is my friend, and my friends all love donuts as much as I do... so a post with just pictures of donuts may have been good enough.) 

The drive through the Presidio was peaceful. The view of red-roofed houses among the tall trees (eucalyptus, cypress, and pine, according to the presidio website) was a nice break from the oddly-colored rowhouses in the city. I found parking with relative ease and parallel-parked like a pro (I got lucky, tbh).

I get a little antsy whenever things are going too smoothly, because I'm used to running into bumps in the road constantly. I think it's impossible for me to have a REALLY good day. Something always goes wrong. So when I got to the Yacht Rd. without running into traffic and with all of my belongings accounted for, I thought, "Crap.... This day is going too smoothly. I bet Dynamo's closed or something."

Yup... I was right. 

Was I bummed? Extremely.
To the point of abandoning my Monday adventure completely? ... Almost.
I was so annoyed at having to complete the last half of my adventure without maple bacon donuts in my hand as I had envisioned that I even walked back to my car to reconsider my plans for the day. 'Do I ditch the Wave Organ and go look for donuts elsewhere? Ugh, that means I have to think of something else to ramble on about for this blog post. Wave Organ it is.' Luckily I also found the emergency banana I had packed in the morning to ward off the hangry monster and trudged onward.

The Wave Organ is at the end of Yacht Rd. where you get to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and the city in one sweep (as I have tried to capture in this pano.)


The organ itself is... underwhelming. According to the plaque, "The full range of music is best heard by holding your ear close to the listening ports."

That's me up against one of the "listening ports." 
If you can't tell from my facial expression, I didn't hear so much as a gurgle.

Also on the plaque was, "The organ is active acoustically during higher tides and sounds best during a full moon." I am curious about what it sounds like at its acoustic peak, but we'll see if I can find a friend who is into doing odd things at night and is willing to accompany me to the end of Yacht Rd. during a full moon. (Highly unlikely.)

 
For those of you not interested in visiting this place yourself, 
here is a video of the Wave Organ (sorry it's not in landscape).

One of the tourists stared at me strangely when he saw me snickering and taking pictures of a random step. When I finally stepped away, he glanced over, saw what I had been documenting, chuckled and gave me a nod of approval.  


Here's my favorite part of the Wave Organ.

The rest of the day was spent eating, napping, studying (a bit) for my last midterm, and planning my upcoming trip to Portland. Now it's 1am and I need to get up in 4 hours so I can make it to the shuttle in time. Hooray.

Noosa helped ease the disappointment from the Dynamo incident.
See you next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment