While walking up Parnassus, I decided what my first Monday adventure would be: crossing the Golden Gate Bridge by foot. I couldn't quite remember who had recommended this to me -- Dyang? Kbui? Jon? -- but it sounded like a great way to kick off my "Let's spend my free Mondays doing more than groceries!" project.
My research on the 38 to and from Trader Joe's informed me that walking the entire bridge would take about one hour (two hours round trip). Visitors should plan carefully, since the bridge also closes to pedestrians at 5:30pm. The same google search also yielded reviews written by both people who loved the experience and those who swore never to repeat it again (after realizing they had always had a fear of heights mid-bridge). The latter accounts didn't dissuade me, despite my own fear of heights, for I had already told 10 people of my grand plans by this time -- and promised that I would be writing a blog post about my experience (with pictures!).
Not being the most thorough of planners, I of course ran into a couple of hiccups.
First hitch. By the time I arrived back home and squeezed into as many layers as I could manage, it was already 2:30pm. Do I want to cut it close and walk the entire bridge? I decided, no. I would just walk halfway and come back, leaving the rest for another day. Brilliant compromise, Jasmine. Now I had plenty of time to quickly whip up my first meal of the day, a salmon bagel (amidst all the exciting planning, I had forgotten to eat...). Isn't it so pretty?
Flub number two. I'm sitting at the bus stop on Park Presidio with 10 minutes until the 28 arrives. I confidently open my book and start reading when I suddenly feel the need to go over the contents of my backpack. Cell phone, clipper card, school ID, half of salmon bagel wrapped in tinfoil, water... damn it, I forgot my wallet. With only 7 minutes left, there is no time to run back home. The annoyance starts to creep in, but instead of taking this as a bad omen as I usually do, I chose to brush it off. 'Don't need it. I've got my clipper card to take me back home. Plus, if someone decides to rob me, I can honestly tell them I've got nothing! I guess they would still profit from taking my new phone...'
Fast forward. The Golden Gate Bridge! The sidewalk is actually quite narrow to be shared by both cyclists and pedestrians. Thank goodness I didn't try this on a weekend. Trying to soak up the view and dodging bicycles without running into amateur photographers was hard enough on a Monday. (It took all my self-control to resist photobombing random tourist photos. The guy walking in front of me who was capturing a video of his adventure with a selfie stick was practically begging me to join in.) I can't really judge, though. I was Snapping my way across the bridge with the best of 'em.
Once I reached a safe spot that was relatively less windy, I did it all. Selfies, Snaps, videos, and even a pano. (Keeping that arrow on the line is REALLY hard.)
I even took several pictures for a nice tourist who was cycling across the bridge by himself. Our interaction began with his shoving the camera in my face while smiling and asking, "Would you?" I tend to opt out of taking pictures for tourists, usually handing it over to a friend who has steadier hands. (I think it's because I feel overwhelmed with the self-induced pressure to capture the perfect picture: one that will make it into these people's photo journals/blogs/Facebooks/Instagrams. If I think logically though, they can -- and probably do -- ask someone else if mine turns out hideous, but I feel anxious nonetheless.)
My first Monday of doing-more-than-groceries was a success! Next Monday, I will be taking a four-hour PCOA exam at school, so I can only squeeze in a trip to Tartine at best. However, my adventures will pick up again the following week. I need to take advantage of my free Mondays while I have them until March.
Until next NEXT week~

No comments:
Post a Comment